Today we will be celebrating 65th Independence Day. Most of us will be greeting each other with message of “Happy Independence day “ but actually many are not happy with present situation of country. Governance is in state of disarray, no measure development work is being undertaken and above all Inflation has made life measurable for million of common man (Aam Aadmi).
The increased awakening about prevalent corruption in political and administrative system has created a feeling of self- guilty among many elites and middle class. Magnitude of loot by politicians and their cronies has increased many folded in recent past or may be earlier general public was not being able to track such huge loots.
Inflation, corruption, black money, poor Governance has made life a miserable affair for both Aam Aadmi and Khas Aadmi. Aam Admi has been at receiving end in form of inflation & poor governance. The growing frustration with government and administration was channelized in form of protest, Candle Marches & heated TV Debates. The public support for Anna Hazare & Baba Ramdev is case in point. The successful mobilization of public anger & judicial activism has been able to make troubles for Khas Aadmi. This has created a state of panic among cronies (or Khas Aadmi). First times in independent India, the khas aadmi, were competing with each other for a birth in EXECUTIVE SUITE of TIHAR ASHARAM. Others also started to realize that their turn may be next. Suddenly the TIHAR ASHARAM becomes the hot destination for the Business honchos & political mavericks. The public anger and judicial activism was being able to put VIP (Khas Aadmi) behind the bars for time being. But it seems all is not well with this approach. It has been creating anarchy like situation than a ideal democratic state. People are being made scapegoats & real beneficiaries are still outside the Net. This all is just a stop gap arrangement rather than systematic reforms to address the root reasons for corruption.
All said , what can we do to improve this situation ? what can be our role in Nation Building ?
We, Citizens of country, irrespective of caste, creed, religion and region needs to adopt following things in habit in order to make India a better place to live:
1. Recognize responsibility as citizens before demanding any rights
2. Criticize but don’t blame – Be a constructive critic – propose the solution
3. Be vocal – express opinions freely without considering the political correctness
4. We have to be proactive not reactive if we want a prosperous nation in next 10 years
5. Be empathetic not sympathetic with underprivileged
6. Society is made up of individuals so don’t just blame others for wrong things happening in society. Accept the fact that we are part and parcel of problem.
7. Need to re-look and introspect “Chalta hai attitude”
8. Give preference to merit over connection/acquaints
9. Rational before emotion in decision making (day to day or political decision or Business decisions)
10. Be part of process of change
We as a nation need to introduce the following systematic reforms with urgency to ensure a prosperous future for our next generation:
1. Transparency in government decision making
– What is need of RTI if process itself is transparent?
- What is need of Ombudsman (or Lokpal) if big contracts are made in transparent manner and arbitrary discretion power to Ministers or Senior Officials are removed
Technology can be a leading factor in bringing transparency in government system.
2. Education reform – not just passing Right to Education bill – Need for Quality
Education is backbone of any society. We need quality education with universal access. Education creates the opportunity. it is the greatest equaliser for income disparity.
3. Focus on Basics
- More people have died in Rail Accidents than the terror strikes in current year. Yes we may not be able to stop all terror attack but can we stop every single rail accident?
4. Revival of Agriculture:
The One very important and crucial segment of our populations is Kisans. They provide the food to eat. Both these segments have been ignored by the leaders of country and the representative class. Farmer’s constituent more than 50 % of our population. We set the target of Agriculture growth to be 4 % while the overall growth target is in double digit. This way we are systematically creating a gap between Rich & Poor. This could be in future utilised by same political class for electoral gains as seen in case of Garibi Hatao & Inclusive growth slogans. Only few states like Gujrat have been able to put agricultural growth on par with overall growth rate. No fresh investment has been made in the agriculture sector. Even the irrigation projects are also put aside. There is an urgent need for second Green Revolution or “EVERGREEN” Revolution with increased focus on productivity with no harm to ecology.
5. Address the leadership vacuum
Leaders are called leaders because they are supposed to provide much needed direction and leadership to masses. “If leaders fail to lead, their followers will take over the leadership and lead instead.” It seems to perfectly suits in current situation of India. Political class has failed to provide the needed leadership to carry the country forward. There is need for youth who can provide the much needed leadership in this process of development. The emergence of a vocal and assertive voice against the political elite (dynasty) is essential for healthy democracy.
We need to avoid falling in trap of fake leaders. There is need for independent thinking for every individual before accepting anyone as our leader. We, the youth of Country, have stake in future and needs to take active involvement in day to day happening and take leadership roles otherwise usual cronies will continue to rule the country.
We always focus on problems without proposing any solution. I have tried to propose one solution for ending or reducing the corruption in public life.
- The main source of Corruption is political
- Politics have become a family business (irrespective of party line except a few)
- Big Mullah are spend on election – No retail contribution here only wholesale ( So you don’t have any right to ask for detailed funding and cost of political party as you rarely contribute )
Solution – Individual contribution from able citizens and Supporters
Why this will bring down corruption
1. Stakeholders will demand more transparency as their money is involved
2. Politicians will no longer be able to give silly arguments like money is needed to fight the next election
3. Capable, Honest candidates (without financial capability) will also be able to come to parliament
4. As a stakeholder we can ensure that our interest are protected – Concerned issues are raised by our party (No rant of serving only corporate India)
5. Last but not the least sense of participation will awaken the ordinary men making him more honest in day to day conduct.
All is not well with our country but this everything is also not bad. Growing anger and different voices are sign of change and its upon our hand to decide the future. Whether we are happy with status-quo or we want a better India- Its upon us to decide and make that happen.
We need to realize our potential and there is a big opportunity to make this nation a ideal place to live.
Jai Hind Jai Bharat!!!